The Single Factor

Monday, July 07, 2003

The Prodigal Daughter

That is the name of a book I saw in an ad today. It is about the parables for women. While I don't know anything else about the book, it did get me to thinking (a dangerous thing if you know me!). One of the intentions was that Jesus meant for each of us to think of ourselves as the subjects of his parables. How the man used the broken vessle to water his plants every day on his walk to the well - though the vessle didn't feel useful because it leaked everywhere (ok - i doubt that's a Jesus parable but it's one of my favorite stories). Parable of the talents where we are the servents and have to ask "are we using what our Lord has given us?" The sower and the seed: we may be Christians but are we in a place where are roots are being properly fed. Who do we hang around with and what do we do? Are our activities glorifying God or tearing us away from Him?

But the prodigal son has always touched me. There have been times when I have literally been such - where I've taken a good gift and blown it on crap only to wake up later and ask "What in the world have I done? Now I don't have anything to show for the time/money/effort I just spent."

This is particularly true when I am rebellious towards God and refuse to do what I know he wants me to do -- particularly pray. God gifted me with an incredible combination of gifts: discernment, compassion, a prayer warrior's heart, and has slowly been opening a prophectic gift to me as I grow in Him. But there are times, that I stamp my foot and slump on the gound like a 2 year old in the grocery store "NO! I'm not going and you can't make me." And unlike the parent in the store, God usually doesn't. He lets me sit there, stew, and become miserable in my disobedenence.

Eventually, I become so miserable that I crawl back to the Lord and whisper through tears "Father God, I am sorry.. please accept me.. please change me - break my hard heart so that I may be able to hear and feel you again." Each time, God lovingly accepts me back into his arms and reminds me of what I did wrong through a look back. Each time, the view back becomes more and more painful because I know the bliss that comes with being close to God. I look back and see myself (figuratively).. I see myself in pain, using gifts God intended for other purposes (see the parable of Pearls before Swine).. or not using them at all. I stop praying. I skip church. I divert my attention from the pursuits God commanded me to do.

And through this rebellion, I limit or elminate the blessings that God has for me - everything from getting up in the morning with joy to worship moments through song or appreciating the beauty around me to a major teachable moment or the fulfillment of a prayer request. I don't know about you, but I am tired of missing out on the Lord.
-Jonnelle