The Single Factor

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Lands across the sea are calling me
with ancient melodies known to poets
and singers and dancers and players
of mandolins, pipes, flutes, and castanets.
Windmill-dotted mesetas, boggy moors,
breezy and sunny coastlands, these cradles
of small civilizations that struggled for identity,
for autonomy, for a chance, these must
nurture little tucked-away corners
whose names echo deep places in me.
Their music composes my workday's soundtrack.
Their history beckons my perusal, infinitely
more seductive than misplaced punctuation.
Like artisans before me, I must put down
in clumsy lines and rhymes the kinship
that is sounded in my mind and soul and heart.
I am a traveler without pack or mule or ship
but with an insatiable brain, a guidebook, and pen and paper
or a computer and keyboard, I travel and chronicle
the mysterious pathways of the twists and turns
of culture that reveal God's creativity, if we but look.