The Single Factor

Wednesday, May 21, 2003

In my yen for knowing what God put me on this earth to do, I thought that some activities were spiritual and others were not. I thought that certain careers or vocations were more spiritual than others. Well, not true! Chapter 9 of The Purpose Driven Life (by Rick Warren) explains that no activity is unspiritual when it is done for the purpose of pleasing God.

I do remember a time I dried my hair to glorify God. Strange it sounds, yes, but here's why that choice was so significant. I used to come to work with my hair wet or damp a lot. I knew that it gave the impression that I didn't care about my work or about the job or about God's providing me with an opportunity to support myself as a young single gal. So I made an effort to dry my hair. I think I sang to Him while I did it. And I cried. (I cry a lot.) And I didn't hate my hair that day! I believe God smiled when I dried my hair that morning.

Another time I think God smiled was when I hugged a homeless man. I said to Him, "God, let this be You hugging this man, He needs Your love." And I pray that the man felt God's love, whether he interpreted as such or not.

OH! And get this! Rocketown (a downtown ministry to young people in our city...spear-headed by Michael W. Smith and other supporters) is having a Second Chance Prom to raise money. I think some gal pals (and maybe some spunky, brave fellas) and I are going to go! Ididn't go to my high school prom and haven't made it to a theater performance decked out in finery, and I've dreamed of going to a formal event in a beautiful dress. And it so happens that I've got this gorgeous bridesmaid's dress (in red even!) that totally looks like a prom dress. Very simple, elegant, classy. So I'm gonna go and make a terrific memory and do it for the glory of God, rather than to try to get some high school Casanova to like me. And you can bank on my having great hair that night! ;o]

My challenge to you today: What mundane task can you transform into an important, God-glorifying assignment just by dedicating the doing of it to Him?

Blessings as you pursue the One who made you to love Him and loves you so much that He died for you!

ejs